Read To Know is a volunteer driven, non-profit, 501(C)(3) tax-exempt corporation. We read to and distribute books to young children, predominantly pre-schoolers, in Paterson, Hackensack, Teaneck, Englewood, and Passaic, New Jersey.
Our mission? To operate a literacy program for young children in order to increase their familiarity with and love of books before they start school.
Read To Know started out in 2006 with a group of friends who loved books and kids. Our interests made us look into children’s literacy programs, which quickly led us to reading at day care centers, WIC clinic sites, and other waiting rooms. By the next year, we were getting enough book donations to hold our first BookFest!, a giant book giveaway, at the Paterson Free Public Library where Read To Know gave away 1200 books. Read to Know has continued to hold BookFests! each spring and fall. We consider BookFest! a vital part of our mission and a lot of fun for all involved. Read more at BookFest!
Read To Know volunteers are reading weekly to about 750 children in day care centers, with clinic numbers varying. Over 2,500 children and adults have attended our BookFests!, and taken home around 15,000 books! Going forward, we plan to expand our reading and parent literacy education program to new sites and place more books in the hands of the children we serve.
What We Do
• Read To Know volunteers show children how enjoyable reading is and why it should be a part of their everyday lives to see us in action, click here
• Read To Know provides free books for children to keep and start their own home libraries.
• Read To Know supplies volunteers to read to children in various environments and settings.
• Read To Know guides and encourages the adults in the children’s households to read to them on a regular basis.
• Read To Know volunteers have established weekly reading sessions at numerous day care centers and clinic waiting rooms.
• Read To Know has distributed books to community clinics and shelters.
• Since 2007, Read To Know has held BookFests! in Paterson, Englewood and Hackensack.