Read To Know vounteers read weekly to approximately 700 children in 10 day care centers in Paterson, Hackensack, Englewood, Passaic and Teaneck. When possible, volunteers give the children a new book to keep.
• Little Campers Preschool, Paterson
• Michael’s Energy Center, Paterson
• YMCA Day Care Center, Paterson
• Children’s Day Nursery, Passaic
• Child Development Center, Hackensack
• Hackensack YMCA
• Vincente Tibbs Day Care Center, Englewood
• Westside Teen Parent program, Englewood
• Leonard Johnson Day Nursery, Englewood
• Right Start Early Learning Center, Teaneck
At WIC (Women, Infants and Children) and other clinic waiting rooms
Read To Know volunteers read to children while they are waiting and give each child a book to take home. The clinics provide an opportunity for our volunteers to speak with the parents about the importance of reading to their children.
• WIC (Women, Infants and Children) – Paterson, Hackensack, Passaic and Teaneck
Read To Know conducts bi-annual BookFests!, at Paterson Public Library in early Spring, and at Johnson Public Library in Hackensack every fall. On average, about 200+ children and adults participate and take home approximately 1,600 free books at each fair. Volunteers help each participant find the books they are looking for and suggest books they might like to read. Story time has featured several guest readers, including Adele Taylor, the founder of Adele’s Literacy Library. Read To Know has welcomed assistance from several groups of youth, Girl Scouts, Fairleigh Dickinson students and the Junior League of Bergen County. The next Read To KnowBookFest! will be held on Saturday, March 29, 2014 at the Paterson Public Library on Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard in Paterson. Find out more about Read To Know BookFests! on our BookFest! page.
Other book distributions
• Read To Know volunteers keep St. Joseph’s Medical Center Pediatric Waiting Room shelves stocked.
• Read To Know helps stock the library at the Grandparents and Caregivers Resource Center, Paterson.
• Read To Know makes periodic donations to the Center for Food Action in Mahwah, North Porch, Oasis, St. Paul’s CDC Food Pantry, and St. Paul’s CDC Adult Basic Literacy programs in Paterson as well as numerous after school programs.
For three years, Read To Know has conducted sessions on the importance of reading to young children at the Westside Teen Parent Program in Englewood. Volunteers supplied reading tips and modeled habits which make reading out loud more fun for the listener and the reader. Each parent was given books to take home for reading to their kids. A Parent Literacy Education program was held at Paterson Public Library in Fall 2012. Another session was held in Spring 2013 at Paterson Family Center. This project is being funded on an ongoing basis by donations from Dr. Delight Dodyk.
Read To Know’s most recent Parent Literacy Education program just ended at Paterson’s Oasis Haven for Women and Children, with volunteers conducting bilingual sessions for interested parents.
To familiarize people with our programs, Read To Know volunteers have read to children and distribute Read To Know literature to parents in the children’s play area at IKEA in Paramus once a month – most recently in December 2014.
With Wachovia/Wells Fargo:
Bank volunteers have helped Read To Know celebrate Read Across America Day by reading to children at Michael’s Energy Factory in Paterson and Vincente Tibbs Day Care Center in Englewood.
With the Rotary Club of Ridgewood:
Rotary volunteers have read to and given books to the children at Read To Know events at the Hackensack YMCA Day Care Center.
At street fairs:
Read To Know has participated in numerous street fairs in Glen Rock, Allendale, Ho-Ho-Kus, and Englewood.
Instead of a summer BookFest!, Read To Know participates in several events sponsored by other organizations, including the Paterson and Hackensack summer day camps. Read more about it on the BookFest! page!